Bulletproof Coffee (BPC) is a drink gaining a huge following from the paleo community for its unrivalled ability to provide insane amounts of energy and focus. It's 100% natural and used by many now as a replacement for the chemical rich alternatives on the market.
It is used by the health conscious as a pre workout aid, giving you that extra 'kick', whilst helping you lose weight. In addition, it can be used for those looking to gain mental stimulation and focus.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
In short, Bulletproof Coffee (aka Butter Coffee) is a recipe as follows;
1. Brew awesome coffee
2. Add 1-2tbs ghee/butter (grass fed & unsalted)
3. Add 1-2tbs coconut oil
(Optional step 5 - add cinnamon)
Is this a new concept?
It may sound crazy, but this is an ancient trend in other parts of the world. The Ethiopians have been enjoying butter in their coffee for centuries.
In Tibet, yak butter tea, or Tibetan Tea, is a favourite traditional drink and known for its energy supplying properties.
What are the benefits of Bulletproof Coffee?
BPC is the perfect pre workout aid, which can be used as a healthy replacement to the traditional chemical rich energy drinks.
It is scientifically proven to have many benefits including;
- Increased Energy - Brought about by the caffeine. When mixed with butter this causes the caffeine to last longer in the body and give prolonged periods of energy (as a result of this slow release, a number of BPC drinkers suggest they don't have the same 'crash' that they experience from normal coffee and/or chemical rich pre workout drinks).
- Fat Loss - Coconut oil consumption has been shown to lead to greater losses of fat and resulting improvements in body composition. There is also evidence to suggest coconut oil helps regulate cholesterol levels.
- Gain Muscle - Both exercise and coffee raise cellular energy, while simultaneously inhibiting your muscle building mechanisms for a brief period, which causes it to "spring back" and build even more muscle as soon as you eat.
- A very quick, healthy and convenient way to increase fat and calorie intake. This is ideal for those who workout first thing in the morning, are looking for a way to speed up their metabolism and normally struggle to find the time for a significant enough breakfast.
The fats in BPC are some of the healthiest fats that our bodies need. It is important to use butter from grass-fed cows rather than conventional raised livestock, as the grass-fed cows supply the proper ratios of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
When should you take Bulletproof Coffee for the best effects?
If you intend on having a delicious cup of bulletproof coffee as a pre workout drink, then for the best effects have a cup 1-2 hours before training.
Caffeine levels in your bloodstream peak approximately 60-90 minutes after consumption.
Aren't there too many calories for this to be 'healthy'?
BPC should be taken as part of a balanced diet and used in moderation.
One cup can have roughly 450 calories and 52 grams of fat. This may sound like a lot of fat, but a number of studies would suggest that a moderate amount of saturated fat has many benefits.
BPC can be used as a meal replacement, and if used instead of breakfast then those extra calories are not anything to worry about. Also, to ensure you are getting a balanced diet ensure you eat plenty of protein, fruit and vegetables throughout the day to balance out your nutrient requirements. Eat clean and feel awesome!
What coffee should I use?
Try to use a single origin, fair trade, arabica coffee, as this will offer the greatest health benefits.
For more paleo and butter coffee news, check out our Ape Life Blog at http://www.primitivecoffee.com/blogs/news
Further butter coffee information can be found at http://www.primitivecoffee.com/pages/butter-coffee